Client: Laois County Council
Architect: DeBlacam & Meagher
Historically there are four phases of development of the Market House, the original rectangular plan with a small central cupola on the ridge, the 1890's re-construction in a rural Italian style with new tower on the East elevation and the addition of mullion and transom windows, the Fire Station Free State Art Deco transformation to use as a fire station with library on the first floor and the present Laois County Council commission to a branch library.
Subject of awards and nominations:
- Winners of the Opus Architectural & Construction Award 2009 for Abbeyleix Library
- Nominated for a LAMA Award 2009 for Best Public Building, Abbeyleix Library